Saturday, March 21, 2009

Navy Pier and Back


Today was another all-team run on the lakefront trail downtown. Our group ran from around Montrose Ave. to Navy Pier and back for a total of 12 miles. There was a huge turnout again, but the people I ran with last time were going to be running north first instead of south, so I fell in with some other people going my pace. Unfortunately, they weren't running the same distance as I was, so one by one they peeled off and turned around, and by mile 3 I was alone. Once that happened, I missed a turn and ended up running the wrong trail for several miles. It turned out all right, though, because I knew the two paths eventually joined back up, and my Nike+ chip said the mileage was about the same.

At mile 4.3, my iPod told me "Activity stopped." This was the same thing that happened to Lynette two weeks ago when it was raining. I just hit the button to resume the workout, but a few minutes later it said it again. By this time I was at mile 5 which was Oak Street Beach, so there were benches. I slowed down to drink some Gatorade and check my Nike+ chip, which turned out to be missing. I had it tucked into my laces, which was how I'd been doing it since we started training and never had a problem. I figured I could try to look for it on the way back, but didn't hold out much hope.


I made it to the Navy Pier turn-around at mile 6 (mile marker 7.5) without much trouble. I took my Gel, finished my water, and started back the other way. At this point I had no idea how long it was taking, or what my pace was. Since I was alone, I have a feeling I was going faster than I wanted to. Soon I saw Lynette coming the other way, gave her a kiss, and told her about my Nike chip. I had some idea of where to look for it since my iPod said I had gone 4.3 miles, so once I got near that point I started keeping an eye on the opposite side of the path. Much to my amazement, I actually found it. I didn't try to use it again since it would have taken too much time to set up, but I bet it'll work just fine. It's meant to be stepped on, so whatever abuse it took should be within expected parameters.

At about mile ten I felt like I needed to walk a little bit. As soon as I did, I felt my legs, knees, feet, and toes. You name it, it was tired and hurting. It was a mistake to walk, I decided, so I started running again. After the longest two miles of my life, I finally saw the last bridge we had to run under, and started sprinting for it. Turns out I didn't really have anything in my tank, and by the time I got to the finish line I was completely beat.

Luckily, the staff and coaches had set up a buffet of post-race food and drink, so I was drinking Gatorade and eating bagels in no time, and feeling great by the time Lynette finished. She was alone, since her running partner was running 20 miles, and she had sprinted the same stretch I did. As soon as she finished, she gasped "I just need to lie down for a minute," and sprawled out on the grass. Andy, a TNT staff member, came over to make sure she was ok, but she kept waving him off: "I'm fine, I just need to lie down for a while." She told me it was a really tough run for her, and she would never have had the energy for another mile were this the half marathon day. I think she would have been able to do it.

After eating a ton of the great food and drinking the chocolate milk we had brought (really good for recovery, apparently), we hit the road. The rest of the day was filled with much napping, eating, and watching TV. This was our longest run on the schedule. From here until the race, we're tapering. I can't wait to run the 13.1 miles on April 11. I know it's going to be grueling, but I'd be disappointed if it weren't.

No comments: