Saturday, March 7, 2009

10 Mile Run Today!

Today was our 10-mile run along the lakefront. Matt was sick yesterday and was afraid he wouldn't be able to run today, but when we woke up he felt okay. We had to be there at 7:45, so we left around 6:45. I was so nervous because my run yesterday (2 miles) was really bad, with my feet ACHING the whole time.

Well, there were dozens and dozens of TNT members, it was so cool! We hit the trail at about 8:30, I think. I was running with my friend Joanne and one of the mentors, Jennifer. Matt took off ahead of us (as usual.) At about mile 2 there was a water stop, and Jennifer and Joanne stopped without telling me, so a half mile later I looked back and they were no where in sight. I kept going, and they caught up with me around the 4 mile marker. And, apparently, they said that I have a cute butt - haha, ladies!

By the time we were close to the turn-around point, I was getting worried because Matt hadn't passed us yet. I was afraid that he'd gotten sick and one of the coaches had to drive him back to the car. But then - just as I expressed my concern to my partners - there he was! A little slower than usual, but feeling okay.

Joanne left us at the 5 mile marker because she's a marathoner and had to run 16 miles. Jennifer and I headed back, chatting the whole time. When I started running, I never thought I'd be able to chat at ALL during a run because of my asthma. I think my lung capacity must be improving!

We had about 3 miles left when the stinging rain started. I had just shorts on, so my legs got red pretty quickly. At about 2 miles left, the sky opened up and we were in a torrential downpour. My shoes got so soaked that it was like running with weights on my ankles! Wow! It had been such a good run until that point, and it was a huge struggle to finish the last two miles. Considering I had just coasted through the first 7, I would never had guessed how difficult it was to get those last two miles logged! But it was windy and pouring and SO miserable.

We got back and poor Matt was standing under the bridge. Everyone else was in their cars or on the trail (we were one of the first 1/2 marathon groups to return.) I had the car keys, so he was stuck under the bridge. But he couldn't have been there more than 20 minutes, and he wasn't soaked because he wasn't in the pouring rain for as long as we were.

We had driven the new Ford Focus, and I did NOT want to get it soaked like we got the Yaris soaked that one time that we ran in the pouring rain. Once we got in the car I stripped off my shorts (I'd brought a pair of pants) and then Joanne walked up to the car - but who cares if she sees me in my panties, she's got 6 kids, and the oldest girl is 25. The coaches had got out and driven back all the marathoners because it was lightning, so they didn't get in their 16 and 18 miles (depending on what marathon they're running.)

We had discussed running together on Wednesdays, so we made plans to get each other's emails from the TNT staff, and Matt and I went on our way. We were FROZEN!!!!

Taking a hot shower when we got home was SO nice! Matt is currently bundled in bed wearing his long underwear, Pippin is keeping him warm, I just stretched but know that I waited too long and will be sore tomorrow, and I'm going to go get us Jimmy John's for lunch. Then we're off to a Chili Bowl at 2, and I'm guessing we'll be home early and in bed by 8 or so!

This was our longest run to date, and after running the last 3 miles in pouring rain, I am less worried about making it to 13.1 miles on race day. It seems like a VERY reachable goal now! Especially since I only walked twice before the rain instead of every mile, and then I ended up walking 3 times in the rain (once was a scheduled walk, once was because my iPod died and I had to put it in my pocket, and once because we took a wrong turn and had to figure out which way to go.) Each time was less than a minute, though, so if I do my scheduled run 11 minutes walk 1, I should make it to the end of the 1/2 with NO problem!!!

- Lynette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job! I knew you could do it... and I think your butt is cute, too! :)

-Stacy

Anonymous said...

Good job, you two! It's so neat that you're able to do this together. (Isn't "Bjork Hater" a little harsh?)
Love, MOM